Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Ipsy Beauty Subscription Box Review, May 2014

For just ten bucks a month, I don't think you can beat Ipsy in the beauty subscription category. Ipsy consistently provides more product than their main competitors and always sends a great mix of brands.  An added bonus is the cute cosmetic bag they send every month. My collection of those is getting out of hand, but I'm not complaining!

Ipsy's theme for May is an ode to Spring called "Fresh Picks".




The cosmetic bag is a fun leaf printed canvas with an Ipsy logo zipper pull.




The first product is a luxury sample of "Therapy Session Hair Mask" by Eva NYC.  This deep conditions, repairs and strengthens dry and damaged hair and "drastically" increases hair's strength and elasticity.  Drastically?  Sounds like a challenge to me.  My dry hair sops up products like this so I'm interested to see if it lives up to its promises.  



Next comes an eye shadow duo from Pacifica.  At first I thought this was a blush/bronzer duo (which I would have preferred) but after a little research, I find that it is actually eye shadow.  Not sure why that most basic information wouldn't be clearly shown on the packaging?  Anyway, this is a shimmery bronze and a neutral beige combination.  Maverick that I am, I still might try this as a blush/bronzer combo!




Now here comes the REAL bronzer....Chocolate Soleil by Too Faced.  Isn't that a great name? This is a matte bronzer that is actually infused with cocoa powder. Chocolate on your face is never a bad thing, right?  Unfortunately for me, this one is in a medium to deep shade.  I just checked and they do have an extensive upfront profile system now but that wasn't in place when I first signed up a couple of years ago...probably the reason I got a shade that isn't right for me.  Lesson learned; I'll be updating my profile very soon!



There is a small spray can of Eau Thermale (Thermal Spring Water) from Avene.  This is a multi-purpose hypoallergenic product meant to soothe sensitive skin after sunburns, various drying treatments, razor burn, hair removal and even for diaper rash.  It can also be used for freshness after makeup removal, exercise, during travel, etc.  I sprayed a little of this on my face; it's a very fine cooling mist.      



The last product is a natural suncreen by Hang Ten.  This has SPF 50 and is a non-greasy lightweight formula that is water resistant up to 80 minutes.  This sample would be a good purse or beach tote size.



All in all, another awesome bag!  I don't think Ipsy has any real competition when it comes to providing value for price paid and fun seasonal product mixes.  If you received the May bag, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts!

By the way, if you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this blog so you can get new posts automatically sent to your e-mail address.  There are lots of great new subscription box reviews on the way that you won't want to miss! 

Thanks for reading,

Cheryl 

No comments: