Sunday, July 13, 2014

Birchbox July 2014 Review + Code for 100 Bonus Points!

It has been a while since I reviewed a Birchbox.  Quite honestly, there were just more interesting boxes coming along and some of the low price beauty boxes were doing a better job in terms of both quantity and quality. To get the most out of a Birchbox subscription, you really have to stay engaged with their site through their points system. Whether or not you're willing to do that probably determines the level of interest you can maintain in this company.

For July, Birchbox partnered with Women's Health magazine to provide beauty samples and inspiration for amping up your summer routine.  The box includes a card that you can send in for a free one year subscription to Women's Health, a value of $9.99.  The box itself has a fun and colorful exercise themed design; I'm not sure if this is a one time thing or if we can expect more visually interesting Birchboxes in the future. 

   

The July box contains a nice assortment of body care and cosmetic products along with a small booklet called Power Up which contains "12 bite-size challenges" for ideas to improve your fitness and overall well-being. This little booklet is nicely done but I'm guessing a lot of subscribers would rather they put those dollars towards more samples or full size products. Including such things in boxes geared towards women seems a bit patronizing to me. I'd rather get tangible value...not cutesy common sense tips on tear-out cards!








O.K., end of rant and on to the substance.  There is a sample of Body Radiance Lotion from Naobay. This product is made in Spain and uses olive oil and avocado to hydrate and soften the skin.    




There is a miniature Creamy Lip Stain from Cynthia Rowley Beauty in the shade "Valentine", a very pretty raspberry pink color.



Next is a sample size facial peel from Real Chemistry called "Luminous 3-Minute Peel". This product is acid-free and gently exfoliates for instantly smoother and brighter skin.  Looks like there is enough here for one or possibly two applications.



There is one full size product in this box, a universal eyebrow pencil from Ofra.  I don't see a shade name but it's a light to medium brown that should probably suit most people. This retails for $13, so alone is worth the entire price of the box and then some.



Lastly, there are two foil pack samples of Gingerade Shower Gel, an all natural richly foaming cleanser that contains aloe for hydration and green tea to nourish the skin.



So this was a pretty decent box for $10. The body lotion, lip stain and eyebrow pencil are my favorite products this time. The facial peel is quite an expensive product in the full size, so this is a good opportunity to try it out.    

If you'd like to try Birchbox, click here and use code WOMENSHEALTH100 to get 100 bonus points.  Birchbox has a great points system and they add up fast to provide discounts and free products.  For every item you review on their site, you get 10 points which translates to $1 to spend in their shop. 

What did you think of July's Birchbox?  In reading other reviews, I see that the boxes contain quite different products from subscriber to subscriber.  Let us know below what you got!

Thanks for reading,

Cheryl

2 comments:

The Cowgill's said...

I got a few of those products in my box also. And I actually got the eyebrow pencil last month in my Ipsy bag. I love it! I am new to Birchbox and have only gotten two so far. I like it- but see that some of the products are very very small samples which is kind of disappointing. But I will stick with it since it is only a $10 subscription. I defiantly like Ipsy better though.

Lone Star Shopper said...

I've subscribed to both for over a year and most of the time, Ipsy does provide better value. However, I just got my July Ipsy bag today and it's the least impressive one I've received so far. For this month, Birchbox wins. Thanks for your comment!